Thursday, June 11, 2009

Sad but true....


I've come to a sad realization today. Families don't seem to mean the same as they used to. Back when I was young a family stuck together. I remember my family living for a time with my grandparents when things got tough. After all..that's what family's are suppose to do. Pick up the slack when times are tough.

We try to instill these values in our children, but unfortunately it's a different world today. Everyone is so focused on their own plans, they forget to look at the bigger picture and be sure that their actions aren't going to have detrimental affects on the very people they claim to love.

I was discussing this very thing with my mother yesterday. Our reflection of our lives and what we had both been through reminded us just how important family is and the fact that we always had each others backs, especially through the hard times. Because of some unfortunate happenings in my life yesterday, I feel I have spiraled to the bottom of what feels like a black hole in my life. My mother thanked me for always being there for her and reminded me how much I helped her in the last few months of my fathers life. But really, she didn't need to thank me at all. Isn't that what it's all about? Family catching you when you're falling. It was back in my day. It's the way I grew up. You just never turned your back on your family.

I guess what I'm trying to say is always check your motives. And always hold those you love in your heart and be sure what you're planning doesn't harm the ones you love. Family is family and you just can't be sure how long you will have them in your lives. I've learned all to well that they can vanish in the blink of an eye. After all we aren't invincible. Life happens..and not always the way we want it to.

P.S. The picture is of my family when I was a little girl. I'm the little dark haired girl. I think I was about 6 years old. It's my favorite picture and I treasure it always.

No comments:

Post a Comment